Monday, June 18, 2012

Athens Day 1:

Most of the past 1(.5?) days were spent in transit from Madison, Wisconsin. We flew from Madison to Detroit to Rome to Athens.
  
Rome’s Airport looks a little like the regional rail section of Philly’s 30th Street Station, if Philly were plastered with glossy Armani adverts. Slightly lower density of advertisements (unlike in America, there were some visible surfaces not utilized for product promotion), but most of the brands were local. Airport is more worn down than most American airports.

The people look mostly the same, and occasionally sound slightly different. There are more skinny people, and fewer Ed Hardy shirts. There were significantly fewer sitting areas in the airport (perhaps linked to the greater number of skinny people?)

My iced tea was 500mL, a size I had previously encountered only in the lab. It brings to my mind graduated cylinders.

Europe seems to have a grittier edge than most of the American cities I’ve been. Perhaps it is merely my limited experience with Europe- - several years ago, I visited London, and now I am in Athens.We are staying in a hotel in Voulagmeni, Greece. Tomorrow, I'm headed to the Acropolis and Agora in ancient Athens.

View from our hotel balcony
Another view
Dinner
Fancy Greek bottled water
View from dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment